6. When you least expect it something great will happen
but pretty girls/boys don't want you, they want the reference book.
7. No matter what people say when they leave, you will
never hear from them again.
8. There is nothing on this job that is more important
than your kids or significant other. Go home if they need you. Also text them
or make calls within reason. Yes, that is against the rules...see #13
9. Call in sick at random and go to Disneyland or the
race track or lay in bed half the day. No one will really notice or suffer that
you were not there that day.
10. Be nice to all library staff and especially branch
librarians because someday they might be your boss or the person that hires
11. Try like hell to be kind to patrons, it is not their
fault they are really are clueless about a lot of simple stuff.
12. Participate. While you might feel silly wearing a Cat
in the Hat hat you will thank yourself later.
13. Ignore most rules, make up your own. It works, I have
done it for 34 years.
14. Training is 95% earnest attempts at making the job
easier but you forget after a few days.
15. Go out to eat, leave your library and maybe have a
drink. Let it go, enjoy at least your late shift dinner hour.
16. If your supervisor takes themselves serious, go
somewhere else, they are not going to change.
17. Tell co-workers they are good, especially if they are good.
18. Speak to groups, eventually it gets easy and fun.
19. As horrible as it sounds, go to Guild meetings
20. Say something ridiculous to a patron or co-worker